Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, March 21, 2011

Walkers and I Don't See Eye to Wheel.

I have never liked walkers for babies.  Every time I see a baby in one, I just want to grab that baby out and let them move on their own. I didn't even know about it being outlawed in Canada (I wish it was here too) or that the AAP was against it (source.)  I have just never liked the idea of a baby using something other than themselves (of course with help from people and furniture and such) to learn how to be mobile. 

I want my son to rely on himself to learn to walk and to learn how to balance the right way.
(They delay those things anyways source).
I don't want my son to cruise around the room and bump into things at high speeds.
(can move 3 feet in 1 second!-source)
They cause many injuries to babies who use them even with the parent watching.
(He is already going to get banged up enough learning to walk. source )

Anyways, I just don't like them and that should be that. 


Of course, my Mother in Law doesn't see my view, instead she has him using a walker without asking me first!!! When I found out today I was so angry! I nicely made it clear I don't like them and she totally shrugged me off! What the stars??? I don't want to be rude, and she is a free babysitter and is getting old (turning 65 next month), but she should respect my wishes when I say I don't like something and I shouldn't even have to explain myself (I didn't go very deep, but told her I wished him to learn all this on own and she just went "blah, yes he does" and didn't even let me try to say much.)

Luckily, Boo Boo is only over there 3 days a week for 4 hours, so if all else, he won't get much walker time, but it still pisses me off about it. Maybe I should just have hubby try to take the wheels off.

All I know is that this isn't quite over yet, and I will get rid of that darn thing before another baby gets hurt! (one baby in the family fell down the stairs in one last year!)

Am I overreacting? Are these sources I pulled just BS? I don't think so.
Nope. 
Another thing about "old school" that frustrates me.



5 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear this. I don't understand why people won't just let us make decisions for our children without trying to override it.

    Yesterday my mom turned on the Horse Whisperer for Acacia. I walked in right before the horse was going to get hit by the truck and made her shut it off. She got PISSED at ME! Craziness! I'm the one who should have been pissed (and I kind of was)! Acacia doesn't need to see that crap! She's like "Oh I explained that the horse was going to get an owie but that it's all pretend." Acacia wakes me up 3 times a week at 4am to tell me about all the things that scared her on the TV and my mom just insists that the TV is "good" for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. A walker? Seriously? Last time I saw him he was barely sitting up on his own! I wouldn't put a child in one of those who wasn't crawling yet. I wouldn't put a child in one anyway, but definitely not one who can't crawl yet. He's just way too young for that! He needs better muscle control so he can steer better and whatnot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to stand your ground on this and have Josh back you up. After all, she is his mother. If he was my kid and he got hurt in the walker, I would seriously be pissed. Erik has been getting mad because he found out his family has been letting Jeromy stay up until all hours of the night on Saturday nights when he comes by me. He wants J to keep a reasonable sleep schedule even on days off of school during the year so that it doesn't interfere with sleep during the week. His family says "well you're gone those days so what we say goes." They aren't his parents, Erik is! They are always undermining his parenting and I can't wait until we live together because he'll finally have someone on his side.

    I'll tell ya, if Erik and I have kids ever, I've got my work cut out for me. I'm against CIO and circ, pro extended breastfeeding, anti-spanking, I don't like walkers, I don't like too much TV or junk food for kids, etc. His mom is the polar opposite of all that!

    Sonya, I think that's great that you turned off the TV. Kids at that age don't need to watch much of it IMO, and even explaining it to her, it could still scare her. She's only 3! I'm 23 and I've never seen that movie, I would probably freak out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know. I am still mad. lol
    Don't know what to do yet cuz so much is going on in the family and I don't want to add to the stress, but at the same time I want my opinions to matter. It is hard to find the middle ground.
    Yes Randi, it is hard when what you what is against everyone else and trust me, you get tired of explaining it over and over again, but in the end you get to be satisfied to know that you are doing what you feel is best.

    I hope that over time Acacia will get better about the TV thing, specially when you leave your moms

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you ever going to update your blog again? ;) Love ya

    Sonya

    ReplyDelete