Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, January 28, 2011

It's Baby Making Time...Baby Food Time That Is!!

About 2 weeks ago I started Boo Boo with rice cereal. He didn't care for it at all. So I moved on to oatmeal, after a couple days of it and a break from it, he now loves it! I can't get that spoon to his mouth fast enough! So flipping cute!

Anyways, so today I decided it was time to move forward with solids. I knew that I wanted to make his food. Seeing the prices of baby food helped also! I think homemade baby food is more tasty as well! I am not much for cooking or anything, so I do not know where this excitement for making baby food came from, but I am happy to have fun with it so far!

I decided to start with carrots. So I got a bag with 6 full size carrots for under a dollar. That whole bag made a full tray of food! So much cheaper! Anyways I did it in two batches. I first steamed the carrots after I chopped them. After about 15 minutes of steaming I put them in the blender and puree them. I also added some water from the pan to it as well to help. I think it turned out great! I was so proud of myself! I then put it in an ice cube tray and into the freezer.

So it was dinner time and it was time for Boo Boo to try it! I mixed about an oz (one ice cube worth) of warmed up carrots with 2 tablespoons of oatmeal. I figured it would be better to mix them so that it wasn't such a shock and for him to get use to it more easily.

The first bite Boo Boo gave me a funny look, but after that he ate it like a pro! So happy! Tomorrow he will get just oatmeal in the morning and just carrots at night. If he still needs some oatmeal in it I will do so, but I would love for him to eat it by itself. We will see I guess.

I know I am gonna do green beans next, then more veggies and lastly do fruits. See how it goes. It's all for practice now anyways.

Happy baby food making ;p

4 comments:

  1. Good job, mama! I made my first applesauce the other day, and X ate it up like crazy this morning, mixed with oatmeal. Good luck with the green beans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that idea! A lot of moms I know start with fruits and then they wonder why the babies don't take well to veggies. When I was a baby my favorite was sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made my older daughter's baby food and couldn't believe how much fun and how satisfying it was. Plus, why are "babyfood" bananas pink? Creepy, lol. We started Fynn on cereals a few weeks back (one week on each) and then avocado and spinach this week. She *loves* them. Yay! Next week is broccoli and green beans. (We do three tries of something before moving on.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! Glad your babies are liking the food! Boo Boo is good for carrots and green beans so far :)

    ReplyDelete